Part kite festival, part chaos, ALL FUN.
KB4C is a festival for all that celebrates life through the healing powers of facing challenge in the elements, benefiting a cause that affects all of us.
The main event is a 6-hour endurance kiteboarding race in the mighty Columbia River that challenges men & women physically and mentally. This is The Kite Derby, designed to embody the battle that someone facing cancer endures every day.
Schedule of Events
Friday, July 12
Hood River Event Site – Portway Avenue, Hood River, 97031
- 10 am – 5 pm: Kickoff Kite Demo – Kite brands Slingshot, Airush, Duotone, FCD, and more will be demoing kites and gear for your riding pleasure from the event site! Only demo participants will be able to launch & land from the event site, and wristbands for the demo will be enforced for this privilege!
- 4-6:00 pm: Athlete Check-in & Registration
- 4:30-6:30 pm: Athlete & Volunteer Waterfront Dinner, by Apple Valley BBQ and Ahi’s Ohana Catering. FREE for registered athletes and confirmed volunteers, $15 per person for general public
The Ruins KB4C Kickoff Party
- 7:00 – 10:00 pm – KB4C Kickoff Party $5 entry
If there was one party to be at this weekend, this is it. We’ll have local favorites Vitamin D playing, Rubber Ducky Race tickets, and the big Kickoff Party Raffle!
- Raffle – Win a Rad Power Bikes RadWagon Electric Cargo Bike valued at over $1500! Raffle tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the Ruins from 7-9:30 pm. You must be present to win!
- Rooted in the Gorge – This food truck is not to be missed and will be at the Kickoff Party at the Ruins! Mouth-watering tacos Gorge-style is a perfect compliment to a Full Sail Session!
Saturday, July 13th
- 7:30-9:00 am: Athlete Registration for Kite Derby Endurance Race
- 9:30 am: Kite Derby Rider’s Meeting
- 10:15 am: The School of Taiko Drummer Group from Seattle – Race start, not to be missed!
- 10:15-11:00 am: Kite Derby Endurance Race Start
- 11:00 am: Silent Auction opens
- 11:30 am: Full Sail Brewing Beer Garden opens
- 12-2:00 pm: Athlete lunch, round one served in athlete lounge by Chef Mark Whitehead, aka “Ahi” at Camp Koru. Registered athletes only – use your wristband tearaway-tab for entry.
- Live Music:
- 10:15-11:30 – Taiko Drummers
- 12:00 – 1:30 pm – Ben Bonham Band
- 2 – 3:30 pm – Anderson Gould Duo
- 4:00-5:30 pm – Eddy Corduroy
- 1:30 pm: Rubber Ducky Derby
- 4:30-5:30 pm: Kite Derby Endurance Race, estimated finish
- 4:30-6:00 pm: Late athlete lunch served in athlete lounge by Ahi
- 5:45 pm: Silent Auction Closes
- 6:15 -8:00 pm: Silent & Live Auction Checkout at Registration
- 6:00 pm : Fundraising Awards announced
- 6:15 pm: Boards of Hope & Live Auction
- 7:30 pm: Kite Derby Race Awards
- 8:00 pm: Estimated Finish
Sunday, July 14th
- 9:00-10:00 am – A Very Special Waterfront Yoga Class at the Event Site, benefitting local survivors battling cancer.
- 10:30 – Noon: Sunday Events Registration
- Noon: Never-Ever-Kiteboarded-Before Race (for Pro / experienced and complete beginner kiters!).
Sign up at the Registration tent.
- Noon – The Raffle Starts! Raffle Display & Ticket Sales
- 1:30-4:00 pm: Raffle winners pulled & announced every 30 minutes!
- 4:30 pm: Estimated Event Close